I am a sole prop and paid rent to an accountant who is a professional corporation. Do I need to 1099 him?
No, you generally don’t issue a form 1099 for rental payments made to corporations (there are some exceptions). For more on when a form 1099 might be appropriate, check out my prior post about when to issue a 1099.
Like any good lawyer, I need to add a disclaimer: Unfortunately, it is impossible to give comprehensive tax advice over the internet, no matter how well researched or written. Before relying on any information given on this site, contact a tax professional to discuss your particular situation.
- Ask the taxgirl: Responsibility to Ensure Independent Contractor Files?
- Ask the taxgirl: Reporting 1099 Income
- Ask the Taxgirl: Forms 1099
- Ask the taxgirl: Should I Ask Performers to Complete a Form W-9?
- Ask the taxgirl: 1099 Deadlines