Ask the taxgirl: 2 Years of Making Work Pay Credit

Taxpayer asks:

Ok, I file my tax for 2009 and claim the Making work pay credit for that year. So can I claim for 2010 year as well?

taxgirl says:

Sure. So long as you qualify in each year, you can claim the credit in each year. It’s not limited to just one year as your eligibility may vary from year to year depending on your circumstances. So, look at 2010 in a vacuum: it doesn’t matter for purposes of the credit whether you claimed it in 2009.

Like any good lawyer, I need to add a disclaimer: unfortunately, it is impossible to offer comprehensive tax info over the internet, no matter how well researched or written. And remember, I love my readers but having me bookmarked on your computer doesn’t make you a client: before relying on any information given on this site, contact a tax professional to discuss your particular situation.

Have a question? Ask the taxgirl! – On twitter at and on Facebook at

Want more taxgirl goodness? Pick your poison: You can receive posts by email, follow me on twitter (@taxgirl) hang out with me on Facebook and check out my YouTube channel.

3 thoughts on “Ask the taxgirl: 2 Years of Making Work Pay Credit

  1. The more information I read from this blog, the more I’m glad I don’t attempt to do my taxes myself! I don’t even think I’d trust a computer program like TurboTax. There are simply too many factors. And while computer programs are great for many things in life, they’re not people. A person is more likely to know the most recent updates. And with a person, you can ask questions and get answers, unlike with a computer program!

  2. My husband and I filed our taxes last year, my mom has a degree in accounting and has always helped me/taught me how to do them myself. I had to pay about $173 for 2009 taxes. I did not file for the making work pay tax credit. in May or June we received an IRS refund of $800. This year because of a few circumstances (selling houses, IRA early withdrawl, etc), I decided to use turbo tax… it says I qualified for making work pay, but i didn’t know if i could get it because of my unknown $800 refund last year? Help!!!
    You have the best info on the web that I have found! Thanks!

  3. so…just making sure:
    If I file a 1040 EZ I do NOT need to file any additional schedules to get the Making Work Pay Credit, but if I file a 1040A or 1040 I MUST file Schedule M….correct?

Leave a Comment