Taxpayer asks:

I have a question regarding a 1099 or rather a lack there of. I did independent contractor work for a company and they have not issued me a 1099 for 2007. I have a friend who did work for them in years prior and they never issued her one either. Do I report the money I earned on my taxes?

Taxgirl says:

Yes. Assuming that you are a US taxpayer, you must reported all income received, regardless of whether a form 1099 or W-2 was issued.

For more information about forms 1099, see my prior post on the subject.

Before you go: be sure to read my disclaimer. Remember, I’m a lawyer and we love disclaimers.
If you have a question, here’s how to Ask The Taxgirl.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Kelly Erb is a tax attorney, tax writer and podcaster.


  1. I’ve always received a 1099 before but how do you report income if there is no 1099?

  2. Randi Samsal Reply

    I received a call from a vendor who believes that his 1099 should not have included travel reimbursements. These fees were included with service/supply fees on his invoices; however, no receipts were included for the travel expenses such as meals, lodging, and mileage. Are we to have actual receipts for these expenses prior to making them exempt from 1099 reporting?

Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.