All professionals will stumble upon the struggle of balancing costs with deductibility. When is the proper time to spend money on your company or product? Will the money spent be beneficial with the return? Branding your company, service, or product is key for obtaining a successful business platform. Sometimes, this process can be costly, but it could potentially cost you more if you choose to ignore it. This week’s podcast offers clarity when it comes to balancing the cost and emotional impact of branding and protecting what you have worked for.
Protecting Brands and Trademarks
This week, Kelly brings Kelley Keller, founder and president of the Keller Law firm. This Law Firm works for and supports domestic and intellectual property issues. They focus on trademarks and copyright matters, as well as licensing on property rights and counsel on these matters. Kelley discusses the current – and public – trademark dispute that Lady Antebellum faces with Lady A. Kelley and Kelly take this ongoing conflict and relate it to any professional that could be planning or wanting to one day trademark their brand.
Discover the importance of having guidance during the trademark process, learn what to expect both financially and emotionally, and the consequences of protecting your brand.
Listen to Kelly and Kelley Keller discuss trademarks, tax, and cost, including:
- Lady Antebellum to Lady A Trademark Conflict
- How Trademarks are Used
- Boundaries on Trademarks Co-existing
- Federal Rights and use of Commerce
- Steps to Take to Potentially Avoid Trademark Conflict
- Analyzing if your Piece is Distinctive and Financially Important
- Cost vs. Return
- Legal Protection Limitations
- Marketing Does not Always Mean Ownership
- Product vs. Service Analysis
- Price and Fear of Protection
- Knowing When to Federally Protect your Brand
- Understanding Risk and Risk Tolerance
- Dealing with the Emotional and Financial Side of Brand Conflict
- The Importance of Guidance to Support Branding
- Understanding Consequences
Kelly Phillips Erb created and hosts the Taxgirl podcast, your home for tax news, tax info, and tax policy. In each episode, she shares conversations about taxes, money, and the choices we make. Kelly is a tax attorney who works with taxpayers and tax practitioners like you every day. She helps folks out of tax jams, and hopefully, keeps others from getting into them.
To subscribe to the podcast (it’s free!) using Apple, Spotify, or your favorite listening app, click here.
Kelly’s Website: Taxgirl
Kelley Keller: LinkedIn