After a contentious fight, as blogged previously, supporters of Prop 8 declared victory in California on yesterday. Proposition 8 defines marriage as between a man and a woman, effectively banning gay marriage in California.
Expect to see this one in court soon – likely on benefits and economic grounds. A federal challenge to the DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) has already been brought in Tax Court.
- Merrill Challenges Defense of Marriage Act on Tax Grounds
- Proposition 8 Overturned, Now What?
- Challenges to Same Sex Marriage To Be Heard By Supreme Court
- Like the Way I Do: Melissa Etheridge Threatens Not to Pay State Taxes
- Ask the taxgirl: Marriage License and Marital Status