Tax Day is just around the corner! Nobody likes writing a big check to Uncle Sam but there is some good news: Tax Day also means free stuff, promotions, deals, and specials. After you pop your return (or your extension) in the mail – hopefully with payment – kick back and take advantage of some of the promos and specials. More and more will be popping up so check back today and throughout the weekend (especially closer to lunch and again at happy hour).
Since there are so many great deals this year, I’ve separated them into three categories:
Be sure to check out all of the great deals. Over the weekend, I’ll highlight any updated entries for you to keep things simple. Here’s what’s on tap so far:
- Bananas Smoothies & Frozen Yogurt. Bananas Smoothies & Frozen Yogurt has created something special for Certified Public Accountants nationwide this Tax Day. Every year, Certified Public Accountants go “bananas” trying to get Americans’ taxes done on time, but rarely get the credit for those long days and big returns. Bananas Smoothies & Frozen Yogurt® knows how hard these underappreciated folks work during tax season, so this year, the brand wants to help accountants be “audit” they can be! On April 17th and 18th, 2016, the day prior to and of the looming Tax Day deadline, Bananas will offer “The CPA” on its menu – an energizing and delicious frosty, featuring fresh strawberries and bananas, with added Red Bull Yellow Edition® – to help power through all the paperwork. To top it off, ALL Certified Public Accountants will receive The CPA for FREE when they present a valid CPA license at participating Bananas locations on April 17 and 18, 2016.
- Big Bar. Big Bar (151 E. Upper Wacker Dr., Chicago). Celebrate another tax season being over with $10.40 menu items at BIG Bar. From Friday, April 15-Monday, April 18, BIG Bar will offer a $10.40 menu that’s more appetizing than filing a 1040 tax form. Items include: BIG Burger on a brioche bun with head lettuce, tomato, spiced mayonnaise and served with French fries; Chicago-Style Foot Long Hot Dog with onions, green relish, cucumber, tomatoes, sport peppers, celery salt and served with French fries; and Chips & Guacamole with crispy tortilla chips served with housemade guacamole.
- Boston Market. In honor of Tax Day, Boston Market will offer a half chicken Individual Meal with two sides and cornbread PLUS a regular beverage and cookie for $10.40 on April 18 only. Offer valid at participating restaurants.
- Bruegger’s Bagels. Bruegger’s Bagels is once again giving guests its annual Tax Day break on its Big Bagel Bundles. Get a bakers dozen + two tubs of cream cheese for $10.40 on April 18. For more details and to sign up, visit brueggers.com.
- Buca di Beppo. You can save 18% off your meal at Buca di Beppo through April 18 when you use their Tax Day coupon.
- Charmant Hotel. To give travelers and locals a relief from the burdens of the annual Tax Day, The Charmant Hotel in La Crosse, Wisconsin, is offering a $15 lunch from April 11-15 to help relieve some Tax Day pain.
- Great American Cookie. Stop by a participating Great American Cookie location on April 18 and you’ll be treated to a free sugar cookie. No purchase is necessary and there’s a limit of one per customer.
- Hard Rock Cafe. Hard Rock guests can end Tax Day on a high note with free Local Legendary(tm) Burgers for those willing to take the stage and Sing for their Supper! This April 18, guests who visit select Hard Rock Cafe locations across the country and sing a song on the cafe stage will receive a free Local Legendary Burger.
- Iron Horse Hotel. The Iron Horse Hotel in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, invites locals and guests to Branded on April 15 (not April 18) for a little Tax Day relief with four $15 specials offered all day including; a bucket of five craft beers; a bottle of wine; a giant cocktail; and a trio of appetizers.
- KTCHN. KTCHN Restaurant located at the OUT Hotel in Hell’s Kitchen will be offering guests 18% off all food and drink bills in the main dining room after 4 pm throughout the month of April. (Deal not valid with other offers, happy hour, or bar specials.) In addition, they’ll be offering a selection of specialty Tax-Day themed cocktails, including “The Rebate,” “Uncle Sam” and “Stick it to the Man.” Reservations can be made on OpenTable or by calling (212) 868-2999.
- Krystal. With the stress of Tax Day vastly approaching, Krystal is making the day a little sweeter with an all day happy hour from 6 am till midnight. The iconic square hamburgers will only $0.59 each, $.79 for a Krystal with Cheese or $.99 for a loaded Krystal with Cheese and Bacon. It’s Krystal’s way of providing the biggest bang for your buck on a day that’s all about money.
- Noodles & Company. Noodles & Company is offering two fantastic deals to help guests de-stress (and save a little cash). On April 18 (Tax Day), bring in Your “Little Deductible” for a Free Kids Meal: Buy any regular entrée, get a kids meal free (kids – your “little deductibles” – must be present). From April 11 – 18, you can File Online, Order Online with $4 off $10: place an order online at noodles.com and enter promotional code TAXDAY at checkout to receive $4 off your order of $10 or more.
- Outback Steakhouse. Take 15% off of your check at the Outback (excluding alcohol, applicable taxes, and gratuity) through April 18, 2016, lunch or dinner (Dine-In or Curbside Take-Away®) at participating Outback Steakhouse® locations in the US (not valid in the state of California). You’ll need a coupon for the offer, found on the Outback’s website.
- Poste Moderne. On April 18, Poste Moderne will give its guests’ wallets a break by picking up the tax (10%) on any restaurant or bar tab.
- Schlotzsky’s. Schlotzsky’s is helping ease the stress of Tax Day by treating guests to a free The Original Sandwich with the purchase of a 32 oz. drink and a bag of chips on April 18 at all Schlotzsky’s restaurants nationwide. This ‘tax break’ will allow guests to enjoy the one-of-a-kind sandwich that started it all, featuring 13 fresh, flavorful ingredients served on Schlotzsky’s legendary Fresh-from-Scratch sourdough buns baked in restaurants daily.
- Sonny’s BBQ. Sonny’s BBQ All day, on April 18, the country’s third-largest BBQ chain will be offering half price Sweet & Smokey or House Dry-Rubbed Rib Dinners. “Regardless of your tax situation, Sonny’s is guaranteeing a sweet return this Tax Day,” said Montana Smith, Sonny’s BBQ Public Relations and Events Manager. “Our local Pitmasters are excited to congratulate our fellow BBQ lovers for completing their taxes this year with perfectly slow-smoked, delicious ribs.” For more information about the Irresistible Rib Special please visit the website.
- Tender Restaurant & Lounge. Tender Restaurant & Lounge at the Sanctuary Hotel in Times Square (NYC) will be offering half off select bottles of wine, champagne, and sake, along with a complementary appetizer of Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice with spicy aioli and pickled jalapeño on April 18th. Reservations can be made on OpenTable or by calling (212) 514-6000.
- Tony Roma’s. Tax Day is coming up and Tony Roma’s is giving taxpayers a reason to look forward to it, even if they aren’t getting a return from the IRS. Members of the Tony Roma’s Email Club will receive coupons for the free dessert sent to their inbox prior to Tax Day, valid through April 29. On Tax Day, dine-in guests will receive a coupon for a free dessert valid at participating locations upon their next visit. Tony Roma’s Red Velvet Cake is made with cocoa and buttermilk, then topped with a rich cream cheese frosting.
- Waterstone Resort & Marina. Waterstone Resort & Marina, an art-deco inspired resort overlooking Lake Boca and the Intracoastal Waterway, creates a contemporary, chic atmosphere, presenting an adventurous edge to the quiet city with a variety of water recreational activities and Boca Landing restaurant with vibrant, locally-sourced culinary options. The resort will host an April “Tax Relief” Dinner on April 15, from 5 – 10 p.m., at Boca Landing as Chef Matt Mixon puts a twist on all the favorite comfort foods to ease your pain. The three-course tax-free dinner is $34.95 plus gratuity, with no tax!
WINE, BEER & SPIRITS
- Bar Toma. Bar Toma (110 E. Pearson St., Chicago). Celebrate Tax Day at Bar Toma with half off all drafts and tequila cocktails! Chef Tony Mantuano’s pizzeria offers a great craft beer list with local and regional options, plus an ample amount of Chef’s liquor of choice: tequila. Available all day Monday, April 18.
- ESquared Hospitality. Uncle Sam may not cut anyone slack on Tax Day, but The Wayfarer restaurant (101 West 57th Street) is giving its guests a very important tax break by offerings 50% off alcoholic beverages at its bar all day long on Monday, April 18th (this year’s deadline for filing). Whether you’re looking to lift your spirits after filing or splurge your refund check, head to The Wayfarer and take advantage of your own capital gains with ½ off all wine, spirits and handcrafted cocktails at the restaurant. Want to celebrate your lucrative year? Enjoy a glass or bottle of champagne off their wine list. Or if you’re in need some liquid courage to help make that check out to the IRS, perhaps The Vagabond (made with Montelobos Mezcal, Milagro Silver Tequila, Green Chartreuse, Jalapeno-Infused Aperol, Grapefruit Bitters) is in order.
- GreenRiver. GreenRiver (259 E. Erie, 18th floor, Chicago). To make tax day a little less taxing, GreenRiver offers signature cocktails from their menu inspired by famous—and infamous—Irish-American Chicago politicians for a special price of $10.40. The offer is available on Monday, April 18 from 11:30am to 7pm. Cocktails are normally priced from $13-19. Featured specially priced cocktails include: Hinky Dink (Belvedere Polish Rye Vodka, Beet, Pistachio, Horseradish, Chipotle & Lemon)—inspired by Michael “Hinky Dink” Kenna; The Alderman (Wild Turkey 101 Proof Rye Whiskey, Teeling Small Batch Blended Irish Whiskey, Pedro Ximenez Sherry, Averna Amaro, Coffee, Black Walnut, Lemon, Sesame & Decanter Bitters)—inspired by “Bathhouse John” Coughlin; Doctor Who (Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey, Cardamaro Amaro, Irish Stout, Pecan, Coffee, Egg & Himalayan Pink Salt)—inspired by Dr. Patrick Henry Cronin; and Governor of Illinois (Smith & Cross Jamaican Rum, Redbreast 12 Yr. Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey, Port Wine, Raspberry, Lime & Orinoco Bitters)—inspired by Edward Fitzsimmons Dunne.
- Fort Lauderdale Marriott North. The newly renovated Fort Lauderdale Marriott North, overlooking a natural preserve in the lively Fort Lauderdale area, will celebrate Tax Day with a “Relax with No Tax” promotion on April 15 and featured Tax Day-inspired cocktail – inspiring guests to reflect and unwind in sophisticated comfort in a lush tropical landscape. You can “Relax with No Tax” – no tax on all food and beverage items, like the IRS Blues Martini (2 oz Stoli blueberry vodka, 2 oz blue Curacao, 1 oz sweet vermouth, lemon twist for garnish).
- Hyatt Regency Lexington. In honor of Tax Day on April 15, BlueFire Bar & Grill, the signature restaurant located within the Hyatt Regency Lexington — Southern sophistication tucked in the heart of horse country in downtown Lexington, Ky. – is offering guests a special menu with delicious Tax themed cocktails including the Tax Time Stinger (equal parts cognac and white crème de menthe); IRS Blues Martini (1.25 oz citrus infused vodka, .5 oz blue Curacao, 3 oz lemonade); Taxa-tini (1.25 oz vodka, .5 oz triple sec, .75 oz freshly-squeezed lemon juice, 1 tsp superfine sugar) and the Income tax Cocktail (.25 oz sweet vermouth, .25 oz dry vermouth, 1.25 oz gin, .75 oz orange juice, 1 dash Angostura Bitters).
- Marin Restaurant & Bar. Marin Restaurant & Bar in Minneapolis helps make the annual filings a little less stressful on diners’ wallets with “No Liability” in the Library Bar from 4 p.m. to close. That means tax-free cocktails and bites (11% off the total bill) and a special menu of cocktails inspired by history’s most infamous tax evaders, including Al Capone (Bulleit Rye, Carpano Antica, Campari); TLC (Casamigos Blanco Tequila, Lillet Blanc, Dry Curacao, garnished with a lemon twist) and Bernie Madoff (You Buy a Shot of Campari, The Bartender Drinks It; You’re Left Feeling Bitter).
- Red Star Tavern. On April 18, Red Star will sell specialty cocktails for a fitting $4.18 or show them proof of your taxes, and a cocktail’s on the house!
- Taste on Melrose’s. On April 18, Taste on Melrose’s (West Hollywood) will be offering an extravagant margarita for diners who received a refund and can splurge a little, the high-end “Lucky Line 75″ for $30. For those who owed Uncle Sam money this year, there’s also the “Dreaded Line 78″ which is more reasonable.
Note that many companies are choosing to run their specials on the more traditional Tax Day, April 15, and not the real Tax Day, April 18. Read carefully!
Please also keep in mind that these specials are based on information passed along from companies and their representatives, as well as social media. While I’ve made every effort to make sure that they’re accurate, I haven’t been by each location so I can’t vouch for all of them. Remember, too, that many of these companies are franchises and may have different promotions or may not participate at all. If you’re concerned, give a quick call – or tweet – before you show up.
Some companies require a coupon or a “like” on Facebook and I’ve tried to link to those which do. If you are not sure, then err on the side of checking out websites (I’ve included links, where possible) first.
And if you have a lead on a Tax Day deal promotion, deal or special, let me know. You can tweet @taxgirl, post a note on Facebook, email me or just post in the comments below.
Thanks – and happy (tax) returns!
Last Updated on