Taxpayer asks:

Last year I converted an IRA to ROTH and thus exceeded the income limit – otherwise I would have qualified. Is there a legal way around this?

Taxgirl says:

Not for last year. But remember that the stimulus checks are based on a temporary, refundable tax credit for 2020. If your income will be less this year and you otherwise qualify for the credit, you will be able to claim the additional amount when you file your 2020 tax return.  

Before you go: be sure to read my disclaimer. Remember, I’m a lawyer and we love disclaimers.
If you have a question, here’s how to Ask The Taxgirl.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Kelly Erb is a tax attorney, tax writer and podcaster.

Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.