One of the most popular questions I see around this time of year is whether you can deduct the cost of:
- school uniforms for public, private or parochial school
- band uniforms and instruments
- athletic team uniforms
- school supplies
- field trips
- fill-in-the-blank school expense that is sucking money out of my wallet
The short answer is no. These expenses are considered personal expenses and are not deductible for federal income tax purposes for students in elementary and high school (I’ll address college and work-related educational expenses later).
There are some ways to mitigate some of these expenses – like participation in a section 529 plan. Check in later in the day to find out more.
- Ask the taxgirl: School Uniforms
- Ask the taxgirl: Parking Expenses for Business
- Ask TheTaxgirl: Deducting The Cost Of Birth Control
- Ask The Taxgirl: Do Homeschooling Expenses Qualify As An Educator Expense?
- Taxing Scholarships and Fellowships