We all know that under the Constitution, the government cannot deny anyone life, liberty, or property without due process of law. However, that hasn’t stopped federal and state authorities from seizing property even when a crime has not been committed. Many taxpayers don’t understand the laws and guidelines that apply to civil forfeiture. In this week’s podcast, Kelly and her guest Dan Alban, an attorney at the Institute for Justice, discuss the ins, outs, dos, and don’ts of civil forfeiture.
Asset Seizure & Civil Forfeiture
Sadly, there have been many innocent victims who have experienced and are still experiencing civil forfeiture issues. Dan helps Kelly unfold many grey areas of civil forfeiture, as well as offer tips and resources on how taxpayers and others can forgo litigation or prevent future incidents. They share real life cases and how civil forfeiture has progressed, as well as the hope for reform in the future.
Listen to Kelly and Dan talk about Civil Forfeiture, including:
- The history of civil forfeiture
- How civil forfeiture has transitioned
- Structuring and the challenges with structuring
- The expenses and process of civil forfeiture litigation
- Pending cases and resolutions
- The largely unknown air traveling with money rules and laws
- Rules and tips for taxpayers
- IRS seizure laws
- Attorney assistance and legal proceedings
- Violations and due process
- Hope for progression and reforms
Kelly Phillips Erb created and hosts the Taxgirl podcast, your home for tax news, tax info and tax policy. In each episode, she shares conversations about taxes, money and the choices we make. Kelly is a practicing tax attorney who works with taxpayers like you every day. She helps folks out of tax jams, and hopefully, keep others from getting into them.
Kelly’s Website – Taxgirl
Steve Forbes – What’s Ahead
Structuring and Bank Information – FinCEN
Form for IJ potential clients: https://www.ij.org/report-abuse
Dan Alban – LinkedIn