Taxpayer asks:

Hi, can I report my 2007 1099MISC income with my 2008 tax return?

Taxgirl says:

I wouldn’t. The IRS will receive a copy of the 1099-MISC issued by the payer and will expect to see corresponding income on your return. When the information doesn’t match up, you will likely receive a notice from the IRS that you failed to report income. To avoid this, claim the 2007 1099-MISC on your 2007 return. If you’ve already filed, I’d file an amended 2007 return.

For more information about forms 1099-MISC and timing, see my prior post on the subject.

Before you go: be sure to read my disclaimer. Remember, I’m a lawyer and we love disclaimers.
If you have a question, here’s how to Ask The Taxgirl.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Kelly Phillips Erb is a tax attorney, tax writer, and podcaster.


  1. We advertise our restaurants and catering departments in different magazines, does this require us to send them a 1099-misc form?

  2. Arnold de la Garza Reply

    Hi Tax Girl. I have a question…I am needing to get a copy of my 2004, 1099 tax information from a previous business. How am I able to retrieve that??? I have contacted the business but they have informed me that they cannot access the form due to it being archived. Can I retrieve it via any other method….I need to furnish to IRS asap…….please help!!

    Arnold de la Garza

Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Skip to content