In the 1990s and early 2000s, reality television as we know it today was still relatively new. And leading the pack was a CBS series called Survivor.
The first season, Survivor: Borneo, was initially broadcast on May 31, 2000. The show dropped a group of strangers on an island where they had to find or create food, fire, and shelter and work together in teams. Along the way, they competed in challenges and were voted out by their fellow contestants, until only one remained and won the $1 million prize.
The first ever winner of Survivor was Richard Hatch. But after his win, Richard was soon charged with tax evasion on that $1 million prize. This week Kelly and Richard discuss his experiences before, during and after the tax evasion conviction.
Richard Surviving After Contesting on Survivor
Little did Richard know; he would still be fighting for his survival once departing the show. Richard anticipated coming home a hero, instead he was watched closely by the IRS and soon convicted of tax crimes. Rich and Kelly – and some facts that some folks may not know. Years later, with his time served and completion of sentencing, he talks about the hardships and lessons learned. Here’s his story.
Listen to Kelly and Richard Hatch discuss:
- Summary of Survivor TV and IRS Tax Evasion Case
- Richard’s Expectations Following his Time on the Show Survivor
- The Public’s Perception on Survivor Contestants and Gaming Rules
- The Timeline of Hatch’s Case and Arrest
- The Conviction Process
- The Tough Facts of Amending Returns Under Audit and Complying During Criminal Cases
- The Show’s Tax Responsibility
- Post Prosecution Hardships
- Richard Arrested for NBC Media Interview
- How Power and Influence Impacts Case Outcomes
- Contract Changes Post Richard’s Experience
- Survivor Compensation Terms
- How this Has Shifted Richard’s Opinions, Mindset and Life
- How Richard Copes with Judgement and Regret
- Repercussions of Perception & The Reality of Recognition
- The Powerful and Positive Side
More About Kelly Phillips Erb:
Kelly is the creator and host of the new Taxgirl podcast series. Kelly is a practicing tax attorney with considerable experience and knowledge. She works with taxpayers like you every day. One of the things that she does is help folks out of tax jams, and hopefully, keep others from getting into them.
Kelly’s Website – Taxgirl
Richard Hatch – Twitter
TV Game Show – Survivor
Richard Hatch Trial – United States VS. Hatch
Richard’s Arrest for – NBC Interview
Similar Case to Richard’s – Michael Cohen