The IRS Criminal Investigation agency started a little over 100 years ago as an intelligence unit within the IRS, with nothing more than a few Post Office inspectors. Over the years, IRS-CI has become world-renowned for its ability to investigate abusive tax schemes, financial fraud, and many other crimes. With COVID-19 and PPP loans among the newest areas of focus, IRS-CI is heading into a new decade with even more to handle.
What IRS Criminal Investigation is doing in 2021
Kelly is joined by Chief Jim Lee on this episode of the Taxgirl podcast. Chief Lee is the new head of the IRS Criminal Investigation agency, taking over for Don Fort. With a new chief, IRS-CI is not only continuing the good work they’ve done but focusing on some other areas in 2021.
Listen to Kelly and Chief Jim Lee talk about IRS Criminal Investigation:
- What’s the goal of IRS-CI?
- Chief Jim Lee’s previous experience
- Why Chief Lee joined IRS Criminal Investigation
- What type of cases can IRS-CI get involved in?
- Cryptocurrency and the IRS
- How COVID-19 has impacted criminal investigation and enforcement
- PPP loan fraud
- Where IRS-CI’s funds come from
- The areas the IRS-CI is going to be focusing on in the future
- The previous difficulties of hiring for IRS Criminal Investigation during the pandemic
More about Kelly:
Kelly Phillips Erb created and hosts the Taxgirl podcast, your home for tax news, tax info, and tax policy. In each episode, she shares conversations about taxes, money, and the choices we make. Kelly is a tax attorney who works with taxpayers and tax practitioners like you every day. She helps folks out of tax jams, and hopefully, keeps others from getting into them.
To subscribe to the podcast (it’s free!) using Apple, Spotify, or your favorite listening app, click here.
Kelly’s Website: Taxgirl