Looking for tax information on the go? You can check your refund status, make a payment, and find free tax preparation assistance with IRS2Go, the official mobile app of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Here’s more about what you can do:
- You can check your tax refund status. You’ll need your Social Security number, filing status and the amount of your anticipated refund. If you filed your return electronically, you can check your refund status within 24 hours after IRS indicates receipt of your return. If you file a paper tax return, you’ll need to wait longer – usually about four weeks. There’s no need to check over and over throughout the day: records are only updated by IRS once per day, usually overnight.
- If you’re looking for free tax preparation services, you can find an IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and/or the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) site near you. Simply enter your zip code and select a mileage range. You’ll be given a range of options with distance, hours, dates, languages and appointment details (if required) for each. To find the location that works for you, just click on “directions” and the maps app on your phone will help you get where you need to go.
- If you need to file your taxes, you can get free tax software on your phone. Access free tax software from your mobile device to quickly prepare and file your taxes and get your refund.
- If you owe taxes, you can find mobile-friendly payment options like IRS Direct Pay on the app. You can also make a credit or debit card payment through an approved payment processor.
- You can also connect with IRS on social media (find out more here) with a few clicks in the app.
Quick note: The current version of IRS2Go is 5.4.3, which was updated on