The cannabis industry has been growing rapidly over the last few years as more states begin to make it either medically or recreationally legal. However, with its legal status changes and subsequent boom, cannabis taxes are the next major impact point for the cannabis industry. With stricter guidelines and tax code 280E, marijuana taxes are far from simple and they present potential pitfalls to the professionals both owning and working with cannabis businesses.
How legalization has impacted cannabis taxes
Katye Maxson-Landis joins Kelly on this episode of the Taxgirl podcast to talk about marijuana taxes and how they relate to both companies and preparers. Katye is the owner of Moxy Accounting and has been focusing on advancing accounting best practices within the cannabis industry. She shares her insight as a CPA and her experience with the cannabis industry with Kelly to help both businesses and tax preparers be compliant.
Listen to Kelly and Katye talk about cannabis taxes:
- The biggest myth of the marijuana industry
- What is Tax Code section 280E?
- What cannabis tax deductions businesses can have
- Why cannabis companies are conservative in their taxes
- Investment in the cannabis industry
- Risk assessment in filing cannabis taxes
- How accountants are dealing with the previously illegal cannabis companies
- What should professionals know about getting taking on cannabis businesses as clients?
- The pitfalls of working with the cannabis industry
- Why professionals shouldn’t work with cannabis businesses out of state
- The banking challenges in the cannabis industry and other professionals working with them
- How is the IRS handling cannabis taxes as it becomes legal?
- Will marijuana become federally legal?
More about Kelly:
Kelly Phillips Erb created and hosts the Taxgirl podcast, your home for tax news, tax info, and tax policy. In each episode, she shares conversations about taxes, money, and the choices we make. Kelly is a tax attorney who works with taxpayers and tax practitioners like you every day. She helps folks out of tax jams, and hopefully, keeps others from getting into them.
To subscribe to the podcast (it’s free!) using Apple, Spotify, or your favorite listening app, click here.
Kelly’s Website: Taxgirl
Moxy Accounting: Website
Moxy Accounting: Twitter
The Moxy Cohort: Website
Katye Maxson-Landis: Email